Events sponsored by the lake association continue to be an important social contact point for cottagers on the lake. BGLEECA offer events that appeal to a variety of interests: a kids' fishing derby, a golf tournament, sailboat races, and a family triathlon. The season is capped off with a pot-luck picnic following our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
This page contains details for the various events including application forms, rules, and general invitations.
Click on the event titles, below, in order to see more information. Click on the title again to close the event.
9th Annual Family Triathlon, July 22nd, 2017, 10:00 a.m. (weather permitting)
This event is a family friendly, participatory triathlon. You may enter as
an individual (using a kayak) or as a team (using a canoe). Teams may be
comprised of any number of individuals, and any member(s) can complete any
part of the event.
Individuals and families of all ages are welcome, but we ask that parents
accompany younger children.
Each team will predict how long it will take their entire team to complete the
course. The team closest to their predicted time wins. It does not matter how
slow or fast you complete the course, you just need to complete the race in your
predicted time. Of course, we ask that watches or timing devices will not be
worn during the event.
Appropriate signage related to this event will be placed on BGLEECA bulletin
boards. Teams can register by email or by phone or meet at the Helen Lane boat ramp at 9:45 to register:
Please state the name of your team, including each participant and your
estimated time of completion.
The triathlon will consists of 3 events: a swim, a run/walk and a canoe/kayak/paddleboat leg. (Any type of floatation device is acceptable, as long as it
is not wind powered or motorized.)
Come out and enjoy the fun.
Big Gull Lake Annual Sailboat Race
The annual sailboat race will be held this year on Sunday, August 6, 2017
at 2pm. The no-wind fall-back will be on Monday the 7th.
This race is for all classes of boat, all ages of sailors, and all levels of
experience. A triangular course will be marked out by buoys on the waters between
Big Green Island and the Three Sisters islands, with a race of five legs, the first
leg being into the wind. All participants are welcome. Just show up, with at least two sailors in your boat, somewhat before the starting time, and join in the fun.
The winner of the previous year's race, Richard McIlveen & Family, are looking forward to organizing this year's race and the after race party. Their cottage is at 1056B Zimmer Lane. 479-2431.
The annual golf tournament will be held on August 2nd, 2017 at 2pm at the Blue Heron Golf Club. All classes of golfers are invited to enjoy 9 holes of golf followed by prizes and a supper.
Contact Jim Kuhr for more info.
Kids' Fishing Derby
Big Gull Lake East End Cottage Association
Kids’ Fishing Derby
Date: The Saturday following the Civic Holiday weekend (August 5, 2017)
Place: Big Gull Lake, start at your own dock as early as desired
Finish: The Goonetilleke cottage, 3907 Ardoch Road (formerly Phypers' cottage). Please be there in time for weigh-in at 11:30am
Who: Contestants aged 4 through 17
Must be relatives or friends of cottage association members.
Cost: Free – thanks to financial support from the Cottage Association and prize donations from our sponsors.
Questions? Contact either Keith Rowe or Shean Goonetilleke. Their contact information can be found in the BGLEECA Phone List (Directory).
FISHING DERBY RULES
- No fishing license is required, but contestants must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or over.
- Contestants must be registered by 6 pm on the Wednesday before the derby.
- All contestants are to bring their 4 largest pan fish (by weight) for weigh-in and cooking.
- For this derby pan fish are defined as rock bass, bluegill, and pumpkinseed. No other species can be entered.
- All contestants must be at the Goonetilleke cottage by 11:30am to qualify for weigh-in. Due to limited docking space please arrive in a small boat or by car.
- Prize awards for age groups are for FISH CAUGHT BY CONTESTANTS ONLY.
- Pooling of fish among contestants is not allowed.
- Each contestant should have their own bucket to keep their 4 largest fish separate from the other contestants.
- Prize categories include weight of largest single fish and combined weight of up to 4 fish. The largest single fish is the overall derby winner.
- A fish fry, hot dogs, & drinks will be available to everyone after the weigh-in and prior to the awards ceremony.
- This is a great way to come out and meet your neighbours on the lake.
- Donations of Walleye or Bass will be gratefully accepted for fish fry.
- Fish fillet wizards should show up at the weigh-in with their own knife.
Please remember to wear your life jacket and have all necessary legal safety equipment when in the boat fishing.
Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Picnic - Remember the New Weekend!
The next Annual General Meeting and Picnic will be held on Saturday, August 26th, 2017 at the Goonetilleke cottage, 3907 Ardoch Road (formerly Phypers' cottage). The meeting is at 10:30am and the pot luck picnic begins at noon. The BGLEECA executive co-ordinates the meeting and picnic. Please contact one of them if you'd like to help out and volunteer your time..